Friday, May 9, 2014

How Many Toys Does Your Child Have?




Lucy Harpe


My four year old stepson met a little boy at the park, they were playing well together so me and his mom decided to get them together for a playdate. They came over to our house and we went into my stepsons room to play with his toys, she walks in the room, looks at his toys, and says "where do you keep all of his toys?", I told her those are all of his toys, she looked surprised and said "Thats it?", I asked what she meant, she said "nothing, its just my son has so many toys I dont even know where to put them, and these toys are like, nothing compared to that", I have to say I was a bit offended, the way she said it made it sound like she thought we were depriving him or something. He doesn't have a ton of toys, but he has enough in our opinion, we dont like to overgift him because we dont think he really needs a thousand toys, hes perfectly happy with the ones he has and he treasures them and plays with each of them. He has-
- Four stuffed animals, his favorite teddy bear, a lion, an elephant, and a dog
- a shoebox of legos
- a play mobile pirate set
- Two trucks, a hess truck and a bulldozer
- Two cars and 5 hotwheel cars plus a track
- A toy boat
- some army men
- Blocks
- A play doctor kit
- A tricycle and a bike with training wheels
- A wooden rocking horse and a stick horse
- some play doh and other art supplies
- 5 action figures
- A few costumes
- 5 board games

He also has some outdoor things, like a sled and one of those ride in cars that you push with your feet. How many toys do your kids have? What are they? Would you be offended if someone said that to you? I know he has enough, hes never bored and has a great imagination, his favorite toy is a simple cardboard box.



Answer
My kids have too many toys. Most of the toys they have are simple toys. But... like a toy box full of stuffed animals. At least 10 baby dolls, and 6 tiny baby dolls (plus bottles, dresses, outfits, blankets, stroller, shopping cart with food, beds, etc.) Raggedy Ann and Andy, Max and Ruby, Mickey and Minnie, Snoopy and Woodstock... I mean, if I find a toy that goes with a book or a movie I like to get it so that she can play it out on her own. She has a toy-story book box thing with all the characters in it, they don't have joints just figures, but she loves that. Playmobil take-along doll house, Playmobil take-along Holiday House (Santa's House.) About 7 playmobil add-ons to give more moms, dads, babies, kids, etc. A ride-on for her and for her brother. Several top-type things, phones, things with dials and latches, things to open and figure out. A bag of musical instruments (glockenspiel, drums, harmonicas, penny whistles, jingle-bells, maracas, tamborines, etc.) Stacking rings. A lot of puppets. A lot of CARS toys, and two little ramp/parking garage type stuff. Oh, and a rocking lion who roars.

She just picked out 15 things to give away though (thank heavens.) They're not super small things either, one's a big giraffe and another is a moose. But more than that, it's a beginning.

Worse than the toys are the books. Her bookshelf will not hold any more books at this point. We either need another bookshelf (which is what I'm leaning towards since I don't want to get rid of books her brother is barely growing into...) or give away books. Coloring books, crayons markers, etc, count as books, and can't fit in the shelves, they have to live on the top.

Add: I wouldn't be that offended. I'd just shrug it off. Oh, and we have put a cap on things. If she wants more toys, more dolls, more things, then she's got to get rid of the ones she doesn't play with. I would not put any in storage. No, she's got to get rid of what she's got so she can get more if that's what she want. For instance, she loves XhuXhu pets right now, I keep finding them on sale. She wants a few Xhu-xhu playsets, but I have told her she can't until she's got room in her room to keep them. So she's giving toys away until I say she's given away enough that she can get something again. It's made a big impression to be told that I don't care if she has the money she's saved, I don't care if she is being good, too bad, so sad, she doesn't have room in her room, she's got to give something away.

Note, I've had parents tell me that my kids are going to be technologically disadvantaged because we don't have a lot of technology toys. I pointed out that the biggest techno geeks out there were playing with blocks and legos and stuff... they're doing fine with technology. So will my kids. I find it slightly more offensive when someone says "you're not doing right by them by not giving them technological toys."

Toddler Still Not Walking???




Sparkle


My 15 month old is not walking and we have tried physical therapy but it was not beneficial (therapist was just playing games with baby).

Does anyone have any tips that can encourage toddler to walk quickly..

Baby did not have a walker till very recently and I make sure I supervise her till when she is walking with the walker..

Thanks...



Answer
You probably don't have much to worry about, as kids can take as long as 18 months to start walking and still not be considered 'delayed'. Talk to your pediatrician about it, as s/he will know better your daughter's actual situation.

The therapist was probably doing the right thing by playing games with your baby. Children learn through play, and their play usually is based upon the skills they need to learn.

However, if you want your toddler to actually toddle, the best thing you can do for her is make her walk while you hold her hands. Most pre-walking kids think this is one of the most fun activities of all time, and some get very upset when you stop. Start by holding both of her hands and supporting as much of her weight as she needs. Gradually let her support herself more and more, until she can walk holding on with just one hand for balance.

Push toys are also good. Walkers, on the other hand, don't strengthen a child's upper legs and back. Children who spend a lot of time in walkers (on average) walk two months later than those who don't. On the other hand, they're a lot of fun to zip around in, so there's a reason babies like them.

Most kids find it easier to learn to walk barefoot or in soft slippers, but if she stands on her tiptoes she may do better in hard soled shoes.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment