Saturday, May 3, 2014

How do we get our 7 year old daughter to play with her toys?




lisa z


Our 7 year old daughter refuses to play with toys. She wants all these toys and has alot of toys but doesn't like to play with them. She said she gets lonely in her room playing by herself. She would rather go to bed or just sit and stare into space than play with her toys. I have never heard of a kid not wanting to play. we don't want to be mean and take them all from her but there is no point of her having them all since she don't play with them anyway. she said it doesn't matter if we give them away.


Answer
Invite some neighborhood kids over.

What kind of toys are 6-7 year olds into now?




SnapIt!!


My daughter is turning 7, and she's starting to get some birthday/ Christmas money in and of course she sees all the toys in the store and she wants to start spending. Thing is- the stuff she sees and wants seem more appropriate for pre-teens rather than a 7 year old. For example, Monster High. That stuff seems like it's more for 10 year olds, not 7 year olds. She also likes K-nex/ Legos, which I don't have a problem with. I'm just needing ideas for things to get her or suggest relatives to get her. I've been suggesting clothes, things for her room, etc but what kid gets excited over area rugs and underwear? So obviously toys, but what toys are kids into OTHER THAN the ones that look like prostitutes? I'd like to keep my child as young and innocent for as long as I can. She doesn't have an iPad, iPhone (like who's she going to call?), tablets, etc. She was REALLY wanting a TV/ game system in her room, and I don't know if she's old enough for that. Help please?


Answer
If she likes K-nex and Legos then I'd try Goldieblox to be honest. I'm getting my 6 year old a sewing machine this year, something she's been asking for, just one of those 6+ kid ones that do a straight and zig-zag stitch, then we'll get some patterns so she can start with blankets and then doll clothes, things she is interested in trying to make.

If my daughter was given a certain amount of money for birthdays/christmas then I'd ask her about what she's interested in. She's pointed out "Stompees" for instance and I've reminded her that with our toy rules they only have one use, to be a slipper you stomp in. Toys for us need to have more than one purpose, durable, etc. So I'd be directing her towards crafts, music instruments, etc. I'd probably let her get something like playmobil which she really likes, and maybe a doll (like American Girl-esque, though not American Girl at this age, probably more like Cabbage Patch doll...) and then craft things, paint, markers, crayons, an easel, clay, hand molds, etc. That's the fun of the sewing machine, she'll be able to plan out a project, we'll get the fabric at the store (a lot of stores have pre-printed fabric as well...) and then she can make it herself. And no, I'm not saying girls should learn to sew, but more that it's an avenue of expression that takes planning, cutting, piecing together, and putting together, which I think is good for them to learn.

An easy bake oven or something similar is something else I'd consider, though I'd prefer just getting her a kids' cookbook and baking set and teaching her with the oven. Or a woodworking kit, heaven knows I loved working with wood as a kid.

Fun advertisement for goldieblox included if you want to get her a bit more excited for it.

Add: I was looking at American Girls for my daughter, or something similar. There was a great review though and she said that if your daughter is the type who sleeps with their doll, plays hard, etc, then it's not quite time. She recommended 8-10 and up. I'm including their review. I know my daughter likes barbies but I don't, so we get mostly baby dolls, and toddler-types.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment