Sunday, July 21, 2013

Best educational gadget for preschoolers and elementary age kids?

best educational gadgets for kids
 on Audio devices - Top educational gadgets for kids - Pictures - Digital ...
best educational gadgets for kids image
Q. I'm looking for a nice educational gadget for my 4 year old son. I thought I was going to get a LeapPad but then I heard about the Innotab and Nabi and other tablets and learning tools and now I'm not sure. Some entertainment value is fine but I'm learning primarily for something my son will love but it's educational. Thanks!
I'm looking, not learning lol
Money is an object so I def can't do an Ipad lol


Answer
We got a leapPad for my son last year and he loved it. He is a pretty good reader now and we still use it. The great thing is you can always by more advanced books for the leapPad as he gets older so he will be able to use it for a while. My son can read really well now and it was probally his favorite gift last year.

The Tag reading system and the smart cycle are also really fun and educational items for children

Are teens showing signs of corruption these days?




Mercer


I don't think so but since I am in my 30s and haven't been by any local schools, I like to know how teens are doing these days.

Are the kids learning more with the internet age? I have a lot of hope for them, even with all the problems the youth carries early on. Teens always seem to have their share of worries.



Answer
Yes and No... I am early 40's with a son who is 23 yrs old. I have many friends who still have teenagers in the home.

Honestly, I am appalled at some of the things teens are doing these days...mostly because their parents don't actively monitor them, and teach them better. From sexting to nearly naked web cam chats...to shoplifting, theft/burglary, identity theft/fake ID's, problematic drug use, and trouble with the law for various reasons.

Teens have historically challenged authority, made stupid mistakes, and the like. It is a natural part of growing up and 'figuring it all out'. What surprises me is the ease and opportunity for corruption of young minds that the internet brings. I know 10 yr olds with iPhones, iPads, or other means to access the internet at will...and unregulated. Most teens know how to navigate easily, even circumvent parental controls. Driver's licenses aren't handed out just because a child wants one. There are benchmark requirements to obtain one...age, experience, insurance, etc. So, why aren't there such requirements in the average household for the internet? Lack of diligence by parents, and innocent spoiled kids who learn all they do from friends, internet, TV, movies, and such.

Young minds are impressionable. If a teenage honor student's friend from the cheerleading squad happens to 'show her the ropes' on social networking and sex-camming older guys for popularity purposes...well, is she going to do it? Depends on her instilled sense of morals and character...which is taught by her parents. It's the same as drinking and drug use. All a matter of choices and whether it's readily available...and what their friends are into.

No doubt the internet has it's good and bad. It can be an educational resource, a tool for communication, and more. But, on the bad side...concerning our children, it is full of predators, scammers, sex, violence, and sensationalism far beyond TV, video games and movies that are easily monitored.

I had a conversation with a friend this weekend who has a 5 yr old grandson. He woke up early, and his parents weren't ready to get up (it was extremely early in the morning...it was his birthday). He often grabs mom's phone to play games on it to pass time. Ok, I understand that. However, someone at one point showed him how to access internet on that iPhone and look at YouTube. His mother was shocked to find out he was watching pole dancing videos.. OMG! REALLY?

It can be an innocent thing where a child runs across something like this. But, teens often seek out 'cool' or 'interesting' things to share with friends...or sex things out of pure curiosity.

Go to the mall or to the movies some time. Look at how the teens act without parents around. Look at how the girls dress. Listen to the conversations they are having. See how people are so 'hooked' by their gadgets (phones, pads, etc). The internet is an 'alternate reality' with more interaction than TV and games. It is access to the world in all it's ways-good and bad, and vast.

It all boils down to responsibility, maturity, monitoring, parenting, morals and character taught at home.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment