Friday, November 15, 2013

How do I get my toddler to listen to me?

best toddler toys girls
 on Best Toys For Toddler Boys | Baby Lists
best toddler toys girls image



Snickrs367


My son wil be 3 in November and he doesn't do most of the things I ask him to. Now I know he is only a toddler and I don't expect him to listen to every thing I tell him to do, but what concerns me is that if he has the opportunity to take off on me he does. It is usually when I have my hands full of groceries and he is getting out of the car in our driveway that he will take off up the street. He thinks it is a game. I have tried giving him a time-out after collecting him. I have told him why he can't run off on me. It hasn't seemed to make any differance. He just laughs while running away from me.

Any suggestions? I'm at my wits end. I would hate to have to spend the next 10 years locked in my house.



Answer
My daughter didn't go through that but the little girl I have been taking care of for the past month was doing that.

I would grab her right away, get down to her level and have her look me in the eye. I would tell her to look at me and if she didn't I would not let her go. When she would finally look at me I would tell her that I was not playing a game with her and if she contined to run down the street or run out of the park or not come when I called her she wouldn't get to do_____. It would be not going to the park, taking away a treat or not coming with me somewhere fun.

It took a few weeks but now the most I have to call her is twice. Sometimes when she doesn't listen I say, I have asked you twice, if I have to say it again..." I have never had to finish that sentence.

Going down to their level is important and they need to see the seriousness in your face and hear it in your voice. Don't back down. Take away the toy or sit him on the step for a quiet time.

My best friend goes through this as well and her son. He almost got hit by a car. It's better to be a little stern with them rather than them running out in the street.

I hope this helps in some way. Good luck!

How to handle a toddler after twins are born?







Our toddler is acting up and getting more easily upset since our twins were born. I realize there is a regression, but not sure how to handle it correctly. Any help would be appreciated.
LOL, Martha. I don't think it is a sin......



Answer
I agree with your other poster. Get your toddler to help with bottles and diapering. Have her hold one of the babies on her lap. Praise her for being "such a good big sister".

I'm a mother of twins myself. My boys are adults now. Never buy two of the same toy. They'll leave one sit and fight over one, even though they're identical items. Lay them down to sleep in the same crib. It makes them feel more secure. My twins had separate beds but still slept together until they were 12. They are going to have that deep spiritual bond where they're glued together and you never see one without the other. They're also going to be extremely competitive and fight like cats and dogs, sometimes coming to physical blows. Don't worry. It blows off, they're best friends again and forget all about it in 5 minutes. Warn their girlfriends or boyfriends that if they date one twin, they date the other because he'll always go along. One girl told my son it was her or his twin. He said, See ya.

Always take the one who cries the loudest first and tune the other ones out. They're just going to have to wait their turn. You only have two hands. It's okay to prop bottles when you have twins. Use one feeding dish and one spoon. Go back and forth between the two babies. Saves lots of time and crying. Buy the kind of stroller where the seats face each other or you have one seat behind the other. Side by side strollers won't fit through checkout counters or narrow aisles in stores.

Don't get too discouraged when you hear rude comments about birth control or "Oh, you must be busy" for the zillionth time.

Email me if you need any pointers. Will be glad to help.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment