Thursday, November 28, 2013

How did your older kids react to a new baby in the house?

best kids toys 18 months
 on Early Learning Toys For Toddlers - Fisher Price 12-18 Months
best kids toys 18 months image



Stacy W.


My son will be 18 months old when his little brother will get here. I'm pretty worried about how he will react. A lot of other answers I've read say prepare him for baby's arrival by talking about it and explaining that there's a baby in my tummy etc. I'm not quite sure how to do that, or if it will even benefit at all since he is so young still.

Has anyone else had a second baby right on top of the first one? How did you deal with the jealousy issues?



Answer
I have a three year old. I have been involving her every step of the way. We told her before anyone else, and we even got her to tell other people, including my parents and my friends in mother's group. It was really cute and made her the center of attention too. She has helped me pick some toys and baby clothes for her little brother, and we are talking to her about names and things like that. I try to get her to feel the baby move, tho he always stops when she touches my belly lol. Eventually she'll get a kick.

And if she has lost her cuddle toy, i let her borrow the one she helped pick out for the baby, and tell her 'Squeaky said you could borrow his for now.' She says 'Awww, that's nice of him. And then Squeaky can share MY woobie!'

She comes to all the scans, and most of the Drs appointments. And my parents will bring her in soon after the birth to see the baby. I am even thinking of taking her on a tour of the birthing unit and maternity ward so she knows where mummy will be when she goes to hospital to push the baby out. (I've explained in non graphic terms, like 'i'm growing the baby in my tummy, like i did with you.' and i'll have to push it out when it's finished growing etc).

If you start making the baby a part of everyday life now, it will be less of a shock when they get here. It will still be a shock, i doubt my daughter quite gets what it means to have a new baby in the house, but it will hopefully be less. And i can back up what i've said before 'remember, i told you that the baby wont be able to play yet.' or 'we talked about how mummy would have to spend time with the baby.' So the concepts aren't new to her.

how do i introduce my 18 month old to daycare?




CaraLoder2


my son is 18 months old and has mainly been at home with me since he was born. he has never been in daycare, but i want to put him in daycare for sociialization so he can interact with other children. how do i go about the process with my son, and how do i prepare him for it? what are the pros and cons of daycare, and what should i look for in a daycare?


Answer
Introduce him gradually. Most daycares are flexible and will let you bring your son in for an hour or two during the week and build up until he is there for a full day. He will probably love it. Lots of kids, new toys, and interesting things to look at. However, once you try leaving him there one of two things could happen: he will scream and cry OR he will wave good bye and go off playing. Either way, it will make you cry, lol.

Look for a daycare center with a good teacher to student ratio. At 18 months, the teacher-student ratio is 1:6. Make sure the place is clean, bright, has friendly staff, current toys and updated educational tools, and that you feel comfortable there.

Daycare can be a great thing. Best of luck to you!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment