Saturday, November 30, 2013

What is the best erector set to buy an 8 year old girl who likes building robots?

best kids robot toys
 on robot best kid toys brainstorm in super hero action 04c - robots 3D ...
best kids robot toys image



Anniesgran


I want to buy a good basic starter erector set for my granddaughter -- challenging but not too difficult. She loves robots and likes to build using legos. There are so many sets out there and I don't know the best company or the best set to buy. Thanks for any help.


Answer
I was very much the same way growing up, but powered construction toys were expensive, and actual robotic constructs were practically nonexistent. I was really into Legos when I was little, and when I got a little older I was like your granddaughter and interested in creating more complex moving things.

I liked the idea of Erector Sets, being able to build sturdy metal constructs, but thought they were too limited and it would be expensive trying to get several sets that would allow for me the flexibility to build the kind of things I wanted. Fortunately around that time Lego just came out with the first "Technic" series of sets that included new sprocket, gears, pulley-wheels, and pneumatic pieces. So, I asked my family for those sets for Christmas and had instant versatility to build lost of different things because I could use all my original Legos with the new "technic" parts.

Though Loki suggested decent items to continue your granddaughter's interest in building things and robots. I think you'll need to go a different route and I suggest you go with Legos, like I did way back when.

Kids these days are so lucky when it comes to Legos. They didn't have any Star Wars sets when I was little, the closest I got was the "space" sets, and by the time I gave away my Legos the most advanced thing was the "technic" sets, but now... forget my nieces and nephews, if I had the money I be getting Lego sets for myself and restart my collection.

Today Lego not only has the "Technic" series, but also the "Train" series (more versatile that the old electric train sets I used to have and better since you can build more than just locomotives), and the "Power Functions" accessories that can really boost "Technic" and "Train" creations.

To top it off Legos have gone high-tech with the new "Mindstorms" series... ACTUAL ROBOTICS! Component pieces like senors, servos, AND a programmable memory processor... it's so cool *I* want to get. The age suggestion is 10+ but I think your granddaughter will like it...

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=8547&cn=17&d=70

It's got about 620 pieces and (combined with her existing Legos) should allow her to create several different programmable robots. I read through the reviews and a few things popped out at me that you should be aware of...

**One reviewer mentioned there is a glitch in the Blue Tooth functionality for Mac users. This isn't a real problem, unless your Granddaughter and her parents are strictly Mac users and they don't have a PC available.

**One reviewer mention the motors burned out quickly. I think this just might be a case of poor user understanding, it was the only one I saw mentioning this potential flaw. I think they may have just been trying to get the motors and servos to move or lift things that are too heavy, but since your granddaughter may have some large aspirations in her robotic constructs, you should remind her that Legos are still just plastic and they're not designed to do heavy lifting and pushing.

**A few reviewers did mention they thought it was "pricey" for only 619 pieces. Typically, the cost of a Lego set breakdowns to roughly 7 cents per piece, though it can be anywhere from 5 to 12 cents a piece depending on the size and design of the set. In this case, the $280 price tag for the 619 piece Mindstorms NXT 2.0 breaks down to about 45 cents per piece, but actually the increase in cost is for the high-tech components (sensors and servos), the CD-ROM, and the programmable memory processor. Under normal circumstances I think it's fairly reasonable, but considering the economic times most people are in right now (me included) I can see why its easy to see it as "pricey" ...I could get almost 2 months of groceries for $280. But hey it's the holiday season, spoiling the kids with presents is part of the fun.

**One of the reviewers also mentioned that there were no/few gears in the set. This could limit the number and types of constructs your granddaughter might want to design, unless she already has a couple of "technic" Lego sets. If not I suggest also getting two more Lego sets in addition to the Mindstorms robot...

The "Technic" Telescopic Handler ($90 for 1182 pieces)
http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=8295&cn=57&d=70

The "Technic" Snow Groomer ($50 for 590 pieces)
http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=8263&cn=57&d=70

Both sets will provide several sprockets, gears, and "technic-style" construction pieces. The Telescopic Handler will also provide 4 large wheels, while the Snow Groomer provides "Tank Treads" and blade-like scoops/panels.

Though spending $420 for one 8-year old girl may seem crazy. These 3 sets alone will provide your granddaughter with enough (2391 total) pieces for a multitude of different robotic creations. Wheeled robots, robot tanks, robot scoopers, what ever she imagines can be build out of them. This isn't even counting any Legos she already has, which will only ad

I am looking for a toy robot that resembles the Schylling robots but that is sturdy for a 3yr old. Any ideas?




3LuvBugs


I love the Schylling robots but they are made out of tin and are primarily collector items. My 3yr old would destroy it in 5mins.


Answer
Well if you're getting it for yourself as part of a collection, just keep the Schyllings Robots out of reach, but if your just looking for a toy robot for your kid with similar style/shape then maybe these...

Fisher Price Toby The Totbot
http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Toby-the-Totbot/dp/B00018H71Q
It doesn't walk around, but it does move and it is a learning toy which makes it a bit more useful that the regular walking Schylling bots.

It may not look like a Schyllings, but another robot option (especially if you have the movie and they're a fan) is to get one of these for you kid...
http://www.amazon.com/Thnik-Way-60303-Interaction-Wall-E/dp/B0019LKR8E/ref=sr_1_5/177-7469234-8201725?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1256343956&sr=1-5
Interaction Wall-E is the simplest of the "interactive" versions. It should amuse a 3 year old, and it is safer than the others (which have more small parts), technically its for 4 - 10 year olds, but it might be too simple and out easily grown.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment